Frequently asked questions
- Urgent Care or the Emergency Room? Which Should You Choose? Many cases of injury or illness can be handled at an urgent care clinic rather than a hospital emergency department.
- If I buy a health plan before December 15, when does it take effect? In most states, the insurance market closes that day. What happens next.
- What services do plans have to cover for pregnant women? Federal law requires most employer and all ACA-compliant individual insurance plans, including those available through the Marketplaces, to cover maternity services including child birth and newborn care.
- Can be charged more because of my age? Some states prohibit insurers from adjusting premiums for age, or limit the age adjustment to less than three-to-one.
- Are there any preventive services for women specifically? The Affordable Care Act (ACA) includes a number of preventive services for women that ACA-compliant, “non-grandfathered” private plans are required to cover without cost sharing.
- Who is Eligible for Marketplace Premium Tax Credits? Premium tax credits are available to U.S. citizens and lawfully present immigrants who purchase coverage in the Marketplace and who have income between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level.